Monday, June 30, 2008

Week 6- 4-H and more farms


This week started off by helping with the annual 4-H conference held at MMPA's headquarters in Novi, MI. This conference has been an annual event for over 50 years and is an opportunity for many 4-H participants from around the state to gather and learn more about MMPA and the dairy industry. Not only are there presentations and speakers but also a tour of the Michigan Dairy plant in Livonia, MI. All the participants also have the opportunity to take a test at the end and qualify to go to the National Dairy Convention. While I was there I was able to learn more about MMPA and some facts about Michigan's dairy industry. For example, MMPA was formed in 1916 and has 2,300 members representing 1,500 farms and markets 3.8 BILLION pounds of milk annually. Michigan ranks 7th nationally for milk production and dairy is the top ranking segment of Michigan's number two industry: agriculture.

I didn't get to learn fun facts about the dairy industry and watch cheese and milk get processed the whole week though. I continued on my trek around the state to administer surveys to farms. This week I was in the Westphalia area, Webberville, Howard City, McBain, Falmouth, and Lake City. As I go to these different farms I'm seeing a continuous theme. All of these producers are very thankful for the service MMPA provides by evaluating their equipment on a regular basis. By doing this, they are able to detect small problems and fix them before they become major problems that could jeopardize the health of their cows and the quality of their milk. I am beginning to get a better understanding of and respect for the many things a farmer must monitor and keep track of in order to have a successful, productive farm.

No comments: