Friday, July 11, 2008

Week 8- Back to the "Main Land"





Boy are there some strange things in the U.P.! No not really, but this two headed calf was something I had never seen before. At the beginning of this week I wrapped up my time in the U.P. by heading over to a few farms near Sault Ste. Marie. I never realized how agriculturally rich the area is up there. I even had to chase down a farmer who was busy cutting hay in order to do a survey. I really enjoyed my time in the U.P. meeting different farmers and learning about their opinions of MMPA's programs and the struggles they face being so far removed from larger agriculture areas.

Once back down state I went to farms up by Mt. Pleasant and also spent one day in the thumb. I continue to meet new producers who each do things a little different but continue to strive for the same goal-have healthy cows that produce high amounts of quality milk.

I also went this week to two meetings- the Dairy Industry Review and Advisory Panel and MMPA's board meeting. At the Review and Advisory Panel meeting there were representatives from many different groups in the dairy industry. I was able to listen and learn more about how permits are issued to farms and milk haulers and fines that can be enforced when standards are violated. I never realized how many groups and individuals are involved in inspecting dairy farms and enforcing regulations and insuring that the milk that is produced and marketed is as high of quality as possible. At the board meeting I was able to see some familiar faces of producers I have met this summer. I informed the board about how my survey was going this summer and the progress I have made so far and how much I have been learning from this opportunity.

No comments: