Friday, July 18, 2008

Week 9- Ag Expo

This week was one of the hottest ones of the summer so it was appropriate for it to be the week for Ag Expo at MSU! Ag Expo is an annual event held at MSU where different vendors and representatives from the agriculture industry come and set up tents with information and free goodies. It's a free event for the public and usually gets pretty crowded. I spent Tuesday and Wednesday out at the Expo at the MMPA's tent talking to people as they came in and also went around and looked at different exhibits and met one day with other vet students who are in the Summer Food Systems Fellowship like I am. This is a picture of the giant cow, Daisy, that a MMPA employee towed for over an hour to get to Ag Expo-probably was a funny sight!


I also spent this week traveling north of Grand Rapids around Fremont and Hesperia and then another day up in the thumb again. After surveying almost 50 producers, the results of my survey are starting to come together and I can see general patterns developing. The survey itself doesn't take more than 20 minutes to go over with the producers but the driving to the different farms is what takes some time. I do see a lot of rural scenery and some oddities along the way. Good thing I always have my camera!


A humorous sign, wind mills (almost 50!), and American Pride.

No comments: